Thursday, November 20, 2008

Story Time Part 1 Revisited...Awkwardly

In order to read this you need to read Story Time Part 1.

It’s a little before three here right now. One of the girls is out on lunch and I was covering the phones as we were pretty busy. The phone rang and I answered.

“Hi this is Jess from ________ Trucking in _______Wisconsin.”

Oh shit. Oh holy absolute shit. I recognized her voice almost instantly. I knew this would happen someday, I was just waiting for it. I didn’t know what to say so I just went on telling her about the freight she called on.

“Wait a minute, I know you don’t I? Oh wait…oh my God. Um….This is Cheese isn’t it?”

“It is.”

The conversation was about as awkward a shower in high school gym class. My plan to stick to the details of the load did not really work so well.

“So how’s Meg?”

“She isn’t.”

“How are you doing?”

“I’m better than I was a few months ago.”

She dragged the info out of me so I told her about Pitseleh. Told her how we met and how far in over our heads we had gotten. She laughed and said that maybe I should consider not meeting anymore older women from other states while I am supposed to be working. I must admit she broke the awkwardness a bit with that comment and we shared a laugh. She asked if we had met before, I told her we had and that it wasn’t at a Best Western either. Again, we laughed.

I asked her how her kids were and she said that they were good. Said things were better now with her husband. I had forgotten she was married and suddenly remembered the email from some strange guy in Wisconsin saying “FUCK YOU ASSHOLE” when she got caught shortly after the trip. I felt the guilt creep into me. Back then I didn’t really care what happened to her, I only felt guilty for cheating on Meg. Although, now that I think about it she was probably screwing someone that weekend too.

I suddenly felt so guilty for sleeping with a married woman, I’m not going to lie…I still do. Eh, chalk it up in the sin book. I guess it just means I get a better seat in hell.

So anyway, the conversation meandered on in a slightly less awkward fashion for a few minutes before I told her that I had to go.

“Do you mind if I put you on my list of available loads that I send out every morning?”

“Of course not, Cheese,” she laughed, “It was really nice to talk to you again, I’m glad you’re well.”

“It as nice to talk to you too, Jess.”

Its almost four now, I should probably get back to work. Between the IM conversation with my favorite ex-blogger and writing this down so I didn’t forget, I have officially wasted the afternoon…yet again.

But that…well, that threw me off.

Once again, further proof that there is no such thing as an uneventful day in my completely insane life.

No comments: