Thursday, September 11, 2008

United We Stand / Divided We Fall

I am not here to make you feel bad. I am not here to help you mourn. I am not here to help you forget, cope, deal, reason, rationalize, care or what-the-fuck-ever you need to do today. I do my thing and you do yours. Don’t you dare call me Un-American or think that you know me or how I feel about today.

Listen, you don’t know shit.

I am here to tell you something that you need to hear but you have your fucking blinders on and your god damn hands over your ears. You’re afraid of the liberal media or the religious right. You’re afraid of the warmongers or you’re afraid of pacifists. The one thing you all have in common is that you’re afraid of terrorists, bombs, chemicals and germs. The thing is…you are afraid. Your government wants you to be afraid because it makes you stupid and it cloud your judgment.

So when you want to tell me, “Fuck Obama,” or, “Fuck McCain,” on a day like THIS ONE, just know that all you’ll get me to say in response is, “Fuck you.”

How dare you politicize this day? Remember that it wasn’t just people who think like you that died that day. There were people who loved this country and ones who hated it. Ones who voted blue, ones who voted red and ones who just plain didn’t vote. Ones who were Muslim and ones who were Christian. Ones who looked like you and ones who didn’t. Don’t you dare trivialize their deaths by taking this day and politicizing it.

Both candidates took today off from bashing each other like little kids. Both candidates aren’t running TV ads. No one is sitting around saying, “Hey if Obama gets elected more buildings are going to fall.” No one is sitting around saying that, “If McCain gets elected nothing bad is ever going to happen to this country.” No one who matters anyway.

This day is about mourning and healing, not dividing and blaming. Remember how it brought us together, we stood together, donated blood together, gave money together, cried together and we started to grow together. “United we stand, divided we fall.” I drive through Kentucky everyday on the way home and their motto is the only one we should have right now. If we stand together we are invincible, but if we allow ourselves to be divided…we will die. Once we were united, but now we are falling back into our old ways, bickering like fools and it disgusts me.

But the thing that really disgusts me is when people turn this day into a vote getting political event.

For fuck’s sake.

Show some respect.